Hungerford Tower - About Us



Regular Hungerford ringers:          

Mark Robins (Tower Captain)
 Kathy Bossom
Rebecca Browning
Sarah Chatters
Cath Fitsell
Jeanne Lambourn
Steve Lowman
Minna MacKenzie
Mel Pennington
Jacob Pennington
Dave Thorpe 
 


St Lawrence Church, Hungerford, Berks

St Lawrence Church, HungerfordSituated on the Wiltshire/Berkshire borders midway between Newbury and Marlborough, the ancient town of Hungerford stands astride the A4 trunk road and the Great Western Railway. To the traveller along the London to Bath Road, and the canal boaters, the Church Tower alongside the Kennet and Avon canal will always provide a landmark, standing away from the town centre, adjoining open Marshland. 

The present church has been standing for almost two centuries and is known to have had two predecessors on the same site. The latter fell into disrepair and was demolished at the beginning of the 19th century. In its place, the present Church was erected to the design of Mr Pinch of Bath, in a Georgian Gothic style in 1816, the stone used in the construction being the first commercial cargo to be hauled along the nearby canal form the City of Bath.

Minna MacKenzie
with grateful acknowledgement to
Robert N Grange
Hungerford Tower Captain in 1978

Login